Monday, February 8, 2010

February 1-7th

Not much this week going on in the Astle home. In fact I haven't felt all that hot this week and have therefore accomplished about nothing, which is of course good for morale. However, on a good note, Edyn and I have enjoyed a lot of time playing together which is great, so who cares if the laundry did not get put away right. We found out this week that my friend Becky's cancer is in stage 3. That was quite a shock. But what I know and love about her is that she will fight hard and go on to inspire many, many people through her own trial. She is amazing, and her outlook on life is one you rarely find. A true treasure. You should read her blog and then you will know what an incredible person she is. (beckyandjustinanderson.blogspot.com)
We had lunch with Zach for "lunch with someone grand" on Thursday. Bob and I surprised him. He was hinting that morning that he wanted us to come, and of course me being the "incredible" mom that I am told him that I did not feel good and really didn't want to do that today. Yeah, I know, rotten. But then I had a moment to come to my senses and called Bob and said that we should meet at the school and surprise him. It was very fun, and I felt better on my Mom skills after that. Friday morning was our second class of Chocolates at Zach's school. It was fun. We made chocolate from cacao beans. If you want to know how to do this let me know. It was great to see, and interesting that you had chili powder. It tastes not like any chocolate you have had before, but good. The kids even enjoyed it's rich flavor. Which is kind of amazing (if you remember last week) since they really didn't like the dark chocolate flavor.
Saturday was our stake Baptism and we had a young girl in our ward being baptized. As always is was awesome to feel that sweet tender spirit that accompanies such blessed events. Sunday we traveled early to Hyrum (we had to be there by 9am) to witness the beautiful blessing of our sweet niece, Paisley. It was a great day. Zach and Jaxon even bore their testimonies. I love to hear my kids bear their testimonies. It is amazing how much they grow. Zach is growing into such a fine young man, and bore a beautiful testimony of simple truths that has me choked up just writing about it now. We enjoyed a delicious meal as the Tims' beautiful home and all the family. Well, except for my older sister, who is learning her own life lessons (and us along with her). She called me and was lost and a little panicky about 3 state Troopers being behind her. Of course me being who I am, thought "so what". But shortly thereafter she was pulled over for speeding, and with 5 outstanding warrants out for her and 5 for her husband, they had no choice but to haul them to jail, where I hope things will be worked out for them today. Here is the biggest lesson to be learned. . .pay your debts, don't procrastinate (especially speeding tickets), and obey the law because it WILL catch up to you at the most unfortunate and inopportune time causing you to miss out on life's simple sweetness. I hope all works out for them.
Then we watched the SuperBowl at Kristies house where we "fondued". I love finger foods dipped in yummy sauces and chocolate. It was a great time and we were happy the Tims' family could be there too. I knew when they had left because suddenly Ali was by my side wondering what to do. Roger and Diana have 3 daughters, which is very fun for Ali to play with since she tends to be surrounded by boys when we are with the family. We also were able to sing Happy Birthday to Zach and Mar'cus who celebrate their Birthday's this month. Zach's birthday is on Thursday this coming week. If you are wondering what to get an 11 year old for his Birthday, Bopit is a good idea. Grandpa and Grandma and Millie gave him this and he has moved himself to expert level since last night. (in other words, a lot of playing time). He also got 2 new books, which is great because he loves to read. And great for me because now I can read book 3 in the Percy Jackson series. A fun Olympus series that Zach got me reading because he loved them so much, and now a movie is coming out he really wants me on board so I will let him go to the movie. Well, it worked. I am sold. He sure knows how to get what he wants.
Friday we also took Ali out on a date for getting SO many reading counts points. We went to dinner at the Burger stop (coupon for $.50 hamburgers and sodas), then we went to the Kaysville Theater and saw The Fantastic Mr. Fox. A weird and mildly humorous movie. We had fun though. Then Bob took Zach to the Stikers all nighter and watched him play soccer for 4 hours and have pizza and sodas, Bob was wore out, but Zach had a great time. Zach got to go snowboarding with his friend Mitch all day Saturday after his Basketball game, to Powder Mt. He loved it!! 5th grade passes are the best.
One last thing. Sunday during church, Edyn and I were sitting out in the foyer(something we have not had to do for a really long time, but with cousins and everyone there she was really amped up). A man bore testimony that he was the son of God, and Edyn blurts out "No you aren't". It was very funny and the girl sitting out there was laughing. But of course we had a little talk about how we are all sons and daughters of God. What a girl!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Mindy I didn't know you had a blog!! I just saw it on Cara's blog and was ecstatic when I discovered it. I miss you tons and hope all is well. My grandma said you got to speak in sacrament today and that Edyn was all over the place haha so cute.